I was in such a huge cooking slump last year. I didn’t feel like making anything. Zero inspiration. Zero ideas. Zero willpower. It was takeaways always for us. Not a good time. Haha. Delicious! But not good for our health that’s for sure!
Then we started watching The Chef Show on Netflix and I’m SO happy that we did. If you haven’t watched it, and are into food, definitely do it. Jon Favreau and Roy Choi are the hosts and it’s based off of the move CHEF which Jon Favreau starred in. And Roy Choi actually coached him on his cheffing skills for the movie! So they became buddies and now have this epic cooking show together. Anyway. It’s awesome. And I’m so grateful for it because it gave me my mojo back.
And these Sticky Spicy Cauli Wings were the result. So quick to make, and packed with flavour. Achievable ingredients (and if you haven’t tried sriracha yet…please do. Your life will be changed forever). It’s the perfect summer meal.
Sticky Spicy Cauliflower Wings
- 1 cauliflower chopped into equal-sized florets
- 1 400g can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or tamari if gluten-free
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 big knob fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic peeled and grated
- 4 big spinach/swiss chard leaves lower stems below the leaves cut off
- 1/8 of a red cabbage, thinly sliced (about a handful thinly sliced red cabbage)
- 1 radish thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion thinly sliced
- 1 avocado skin and pit removed, cubed
- 1 handful roasted peanuts chopped
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C + fan.
- Put the cauliflower and chickpeas onto a lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and agood shake of garlic powder. Add salt and pepper to season and toss until everything isevenly coated. Bake for 20mins.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: add all sauce ingredients into a small pot and heat gently while mixing until everything is combined and melted together. It doesn't need to boil, it just needs to be heated through.
- Remove the cauliflower after 20mins and pour over about half of the sauce. Mix and make sure every floret and chickpea is well coated. Return to the oven, crank heat up to 200C and bake for 5 mins, mix again, and bake for another 5 mins. You want the cauliflower to be JUST cooked, not mushy.
- Now assemble! Put the cauliflower + chickpeas onto each spinach leaf and top with the above toppings. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top & enjoy!