This is probably my favourite version of oats there is. Because…chocolate. Am I right? Who doesn’t want to have chocolate for breakfast? Bonus if it’s good for you! And these oats are. Using raw cacao just ups the nutritional content tenfold – it’s packed with flavanoids that have been proven to have an antioxidant effect that reduce cell damage implicated in heart disease. Not only that but they may also help lower blood pressure. So, more raw cacao powder I say!
Basic Chocolate Oats
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- In a small pot add the oats, milk, water, cinnamon, and salt.
- Bring to a boil and immediately turn down the heat to low-medium.
- Cook while stirring continuously. The oats should take around 5 – 10 minutes. I like mine to be on the runnier side once cooked (add moremilk if needed).
- Remove from the heat and add in the raw cacao powder and mix. Add in a little more milkif you find the mixture is too stiff.
- Now top with whatever you like! My favourite combo is sliced banana and peanut butter.